Darne Other Sliding Breech Actions
 disassembling R
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Geoffroy

USA
750 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  20:04:29  Show Profile  Visit Geoffroy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Following to many calls regarding the matter:
( do not do it if you are not familiar with gunsmithing )
Based on the R mod 1906

Open the breech, a under lever under the rear of the breech have to be press to allow the breech to slide gently back
Press down the front of the spring blocking the rear lug then push back the barrel. Gentle wooden hammer taps may help on a tight gun

Remove the forend, 2 screws from the forend iron or the front of the table
Remove the rear table to triggerguard screw, or tang screw
Remove the pin holding the sears and the main spring
Now than the main spring is removed you can remove the triggerguard
remove the screw holding the recoil cylinder. It is a 1/2 inch dia cylinder with a flat to the front for the bolt. Push up the cylinder.
The cylinder removed give access to a machined screw holding the table to the stock. This machine screw is screwed in the head of the large woodscrew going in the grip.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/ggournet/2006_0109darnestock0029.jpg" border="0">

darnation
------------------------------------
JAN 2013
there is some 1906 model where the stock iattached to the receiver with a bolt from the rtear . Yes , there is a hole in the stock when the buttplate is removed . Use a long screw driver to do it .

Edited by - Geoffroy on Jan 09 2013 18:29:29

Geoffroy

USA
750 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  20:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Geoffroy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Top view , the 1/2 cylinder behind the main spring ( the main spring's front " fork like " hold back the barrel at the lump ) The front go up while the bolt go down.

darnation
Go to Top of Page

PGillman

26 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  17:54:27  Show Profile  Visit PGillman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I may need some gunsmithing help on a R . I may have too much headspace and I definitively need someone to put it together an check it.
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

JWC

27 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2007 :  13:05:46  Show Profile  Visit JWC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Send it to Geoffrey Gournet, he will fix it.
Go to Top of Page

cornetdechasse

142 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2007 :  21:18:12  Show Profile  Visit cornetdechasse's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And he not only can fix them, he can talk to them in French...to find out where it hurts.
Darnation is taking care of mine too. But keep in mind one hour of labor, engraving (an art form) is more costly than the same in gun smithing (a craft bordering art with an "A") or ...
what do I know?

jjmc
Go to Top of Page

LOUIS

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  15:00:49  Show Profile  Visit LOUIS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geoffroy

Top view , the 1/2 cylinder behind the main spring ( the main spring's front " fork like " hold back the barrel at the lump ) The front go up while the bolt go down.

darnation

THANK YOU FOR THE NICE TIP. I WAS ABLE TO TAKE MY GUN APART. I TRIED FOR A LONG TIME BUT THIS INSTRUCTIONS HELP.
Go to Top of Page

idcut

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  19:51:01  Show Profile  Visit idcut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Following your instructions Geoffroy, I was able to disassemble the Darne to where the machine screw screws into the stock, but came to a standstill at this point in trying to remove the stock. Will it come apart at this time with a little judicious coaxing, or is there another step to get the stock off?

I don't see how the slide action comes off either! It looks like there is a screw under the slide that goes through the bottom tang. I suppose that this holds the stock in place as well?

Thanks,
Cameron

Edited by - idcut on Feb 17 2008 22:11:58
Go to Top of Page

Geoffroy

USA
750 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  07:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Geoffroy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello.
To whom it may concern with a screwdriver...
If this helping instruction are not helpful, please do not try to disassemble the gun. Reassembling could be much more a problem and it is difficult to give instruction on line.
The Darne is not known by every gunsmith and it could be difficult to find somebody to reassemble it.
Please, to not get in trouble there.
thank you
gg

darnation
Go to Top of Page

Serban Ionescu

31 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  10:29:09  Show Profile  Visit Serban Ionescu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With Mr. Gournet's approval,
I think you skipped a step from his instructions and forgot to unscrew the tang screw. This is what I understand from your description.
Go to Top of Page

idcut

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  16:52:38  Show Profile  Visit idcut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Serban,

I think your right, but I don't see where the tang screw can be removed without taking off the sliding breech and I can't see how to take off the sliding breech.

I opened it up to the point where I could get to the trigger guard screw and the recoil cylinder and removed those. I took the machine screw out of the big wood screw holding the stock in place, but that is as far as I got. At this point, I can see that there is a screw going through the bottom tang, but the sliding breech either open or closed, blocks access to this screw and as I said, I can't see how to remove the sliding breech (table)to get at the tang screw for removal.

I'll study it a bit more and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks,
Cameron
Go to Top of Page

Serban Ionescu

31 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  22:08:20  Show Profile  Visit Serban Ionescu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you got it, now.
Mr. Gournet gave me good advise: take notes!
Go to Top of Page

Geoffroy

USA
750 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  07:17:50  Show Profile  Visit Geoffroy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello
Ted Shefelbein answered on a other site the following, in an english , I am sure is well more articulated. I am sure it will be helpfull:

It isn't really that tough, just different. To get the sliding breech off of an R, you simply open the breech all the way rearward. Slide a finger between the end of the breech and the comb of the stock (careful, the edges of the breech are sharp) and lift straight up on the little metal tab under there-the sliding breech lever will pop free, and you can move it to a straight up and down position. Simply slide the breech off the rails at this point, being careful not to fumble it as it is coming off, and gouging the comb of the stock, or yourself, or dropping it into a lake, like Klunkermeister did. For $50, I'll tell you how to get it back on, or, you can likely figure it out yourself.
The front wood has to come off (two screws on an R, I think) so you can drive the pin that runs through the middle of the main spring (two serrated forks at the front, up by the extractor end of the barrel) out. The tang screw threads into a little half-moon shaped piece of metal, down in the groove between the rails-this half moon has to come out as well (they are usually somewhat stuck, be careful, and don't mess up the threads for the tang) and, low and behold, behind the half-moon, looking from the top, is the screw that holds the buttstock on.
If you get stuck, PM me. If you break the main spring (use no tools EVER to depress the serrated ends to remove the barrels) I have spares, but, you won't like what I charge for them.
Fair warning. Good luck.
Best,
Ted

darnation
Go to Top of Page

Geoffroy

USA
750 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  21:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Geoffroy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will try to have this topic always on the top page to make easy to be found

Darnation
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Welcome to GournetUSA/DarneUSA Forum © 2000-12 GournetUS Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000